Poems

The Music Chamber

POEMS
The Music Chamber
(Why I am not Matisse)
published in Sidereality


I started a painting
of two girls and a mother.
The girls sit at a piano
with their faces turned away.
Why, I don't know.
Are they looking for some forgotten light,
those wounded lovelies?

The curtains are half-drawn. A lovely
noon. I haven't decided
how many colors to let in.
So far the girls are huddled ink --
in a stupor maybe
from my endless wavering.  (Should they wear pink? Are they any less innocent
if I smear them in gray wash?)

A dwarf figure, more like a stump
howls by the garden door. Yes, they are looking
toward it -- toward Mother. Crazy, I will admit,
but I hear her too. A howl
from a stump.

Wait. The piano's slippery keys.
Are those what they feel? The one girl, rapt,
picks a rhythm on the keys, a drowsy ping,
ping, like wax dripping on doilies.
Queenly steel blue eyes that

bleed

???

No! Wrong: gleam.
A gleam of black and steely something
slips down from Mother's sleeve:
How on earth

                     
                                                                                                     
did she get in?

Quick, erase the arm, the bleeding whatsit --

Too late,
I've brought in a note of savagery: I'm watching, I can't intervene.
Everything's on a grim course
of inevitability. 
There and there and there,  beating with their tiny fists
the girls pounce on the knife in a rush
and Mother falls --
A charcoal saint
in bloodied crinoline.

How did it happen? 
I wanted two girls, a mother,
a music chamber, a sweetly tender scene.... All the smiles
that a mother could wish.

And then came the stray thought,
bleed.


Who Hasn’t Dreamed of a Worse Life?
published in Fireweed

            The police call you in the dream. They speak the language of
      forbidden
      revelation,
      a bi-polar romantic.
      Some lies and fears crave to be exhaled.
The blind goddess drifts away, her hands
fat as cherubs loosening the sky in your mouth –
pearls or rain or something or other
thrums on their chests,
the cops coughing up clouds.
Sweetheart, they’re flying over.
      Must see you. And the wedding party
      showered with rice and bullets?
            Suspicious? Oh, yes.
You can escape. Just in the nick of time.
      But then if it’s not the police
      it’s the job the husband the kid.

      You might not want to wake up.
      You might prefer
      the police.
----

  

----------------------------------------------


 Ghost Road
published in Sidereality


The road is straight
there is nothing between us

the clouds could be hills
only they travel to us

puffs of wind like a prickly coat

your face like the moon I can't see
--  dark, full of sly phantoms

my eyes, swollen twice their size
the eyes of a bedeviled magician

I tell you,
Don't fret, little girl

Day is breaking
-- goes the old song

Sing it with me,
hop-skipping over nerveless stones 

Day is broken, she sings 

Happy girl,
followed by a broken road

Nothing to keep you
Nothing to make you run away

No memory
older than you are

------------
 

Mirror to Mirror
published in The Argotist

            Leave your sleepy rivulets to trickle down my wrist,
teacher. Put up a mirror for an answer
so I can ask the same
thing twice

            Seal shut last year’s envelopes, your lesson’s feral cabinet,
            Say, The mirror is facing the wall, so my secrets are safe

            Don’t ask me,
            “Dear little cobweb: why so brooding, mysterious, and  quaking?”
            Don’t say, I’ll seize this and this and this
            Leave everything

            like the sun, when nobody’s watching
            melted down for sheer moonlight

 
For Bob Arner
published in The Argotist


During last fall’s rehearsal
the wind spoke to earth in quarter inches, pacing each dropping leaf
to the plash of the water
losing itself in a zillion facets of ice

The pond gives way to broken glass,
ghosts of objects, gray-bodies, crying out in a witchy voice
Hello bone of my foot
Hello kiss me starry sky

when ghost birds with baby cries

flap like stray scrap across the
brassy garden

We will someday assemble an art together
that is all of that

----------

 Valentine
published in Salt River Review

I write long letters to the dead  (you only know how heartfully),
in the woods, scratching the bark with my lonely fantasies, you
were always near, the one to decipher my messages. True, I would guide
you, you couldn't have found your way alone. I wouldn't have
wanted you to. I loved holding the secret.

It's been thirteen years to the day since your last letter came,
a forest fell out of the envelope, fire blew off the bush, you see
I do remember and handwriting like someone opening his veins.
The charms you enclosed ("spitted flames") looked like the rubies
my mother piled on for shopping tennis anywhere anytime
she didn't give a hoot for propriety.
They kiss-kiss when I put them on.

But that's not what I wanted to say. I'm writing you because
she died yesterday I think you should know that
she kept on asking me When for godsake you
going to marry that boy
so handsome and  lucky.
I didn't have it in me
to remind her you were dead.

So darling, should you meet her, I'm afraid
you have a little explaining to do.
I meant no harm by my deception, tell her that please,
and let me know
what she says because I hate to think this
is something you can’t read.

----



Lore's Necklace
            (for Leonore Uhlmann-Heyland and Joachim Uhlmann)
Published in Rattlefish Literary Review


Before all the clocks stopped, I fingered each of her beads like a prayer to the past
            I remember this
            I remember that
I remembered richly even while tomorrow grew thinner and thinner.

Before the game was pulped for turbines, I held the talisman
on my tongue, chanting
the poet's golden riddles
for luck.   

One strand of intoxicating verse
looped into another into another to glow for all
            time.
This was in old West Berlin
in the shaggy metropolis with the mid-morning schnapps breath.
I heard the poet chanting
silence, silence, silence
before the collapsed glitz of winter in surreal Paris
             and
the bead became the blue rose
in the enchanted necklace
            rare like that.


----
Sunset in Frascati  
published in Salt River Review

St. Peter's flared in the distance, the crimson dome.
A steep drop of crystal cliffs
led me down to the child's grotto.
Beyond that, a thin strip of molten sea.
A dead baby
was tossed before the altar.
(Coming closer, I saw with relief
it was only a lump of clothes.)
Kneeling there, listening.
Far off, a motor roared in anguish
over its broken muffler, a radio
thumped heavily beyond the vines,
and the violators were chipping away
at the hills in search of pre-Christian tombs.
I heard them, the mad motors, the greedy mystics
and their pickaxes attacking the  hills.
You took on trust
I would respect your secret wilderness
beyond the tidy, sequestered paths,
or I'd get bored by
so many rows upon rows of cindered
ferns that I wouldn't venture far
or stay long.
But I stumbled upon it
in the blades flattened around a pedestal,
each weathered blade of grass
seeming to join in a script 
the name of someone, you know who I mean,
the woman who was covered with tubes,
who even then was writing in her head:
Burn this.

---
 Before the Celebration
published in Salt River Review


once there was a little world
waiting to be mended.

dimming light and the hour’s hoax
of perfect timing.

a life-sized dummy

rotating on a flat earth, struck by pins and the busy scissors
of the seamstress, quick,
what was her name?

a chart of the earth’s surface
was the body’s,
tailored to changing measurements,
each year look ma, I’ve
grown.

then there was a rip
so final.

a rip. maybe only a pinpoint split --
and darkness falling swiftly.

such dead stillness,
and the dummy tilting elsewhere, waiting to be lit.


 

New Year’s Transformers
published in Jivin’  Ladybug

  
Out of body, the strange apparatus

divides

air from air. It resembles a mouth,

an opening. Inhale.

Not really a mouth, but there are hands

stitching together a summer cloud

in a sky of frayed ends.

Not really hands, not a sky, either.

Scents carried in the air weigh nothing.

All you can touch

contains a cosmos of memories.

There is not here. Now is not

the time.

 It can hear you talking,

although you only mouth the words:

it can pick up anything

and bear it along

up, up, and away: all those messages from elsewhere

arriving

and arriving and only passing through.



Interpretation of Dreams, for My Daughter
published in Jivin’ Ladybug


In my dreams sometimes I relive the thrilling first

sleep of a small,  sated innocent.  No howling,

primal  twilight.  No monstrous, beating

heart rattling  the crib.

Someone’s mom

(or is it me?) devours every

creeping horror.

Awakening, I am clueless,

bruised deaf, screaming like a fish.

Maybe mothering is only a question

of which chunk is eating whom?

Ritualistically, I might squirt

menstrual hexes across

the sheets. I might chant crone’s wisdom.  Or mumble a prayer

against the scary future.  But I don’t

do anything,

I just dream. Some dreams

are also prayers.  The best ones recall

the naked grin, the bare brine tongue

of a slumbering angel.

     
           

Born
published in Sein und Werden

one shapeless sprawl     gray silent
without end       no omens of mis-
adventure

no warnings
to beware   

as life
as humanly here    begins:

a lit door opens without a sound
and you       a pint-sized probing scout go forth impatient
to consume the air    you have the dignity of rareness    oh you have never felt so naked

it won’t hurt     whatever they take from you
(you don’t even think to ask for mercy)

and will you miss the smell of the garden
and will you want the colors of home
poor alien?        name!birthplace!family!
what roots that clutch
do not signify multiple
frailty?

now now now your cries clack between jaws
mechanically after-the-fact                unseeingly
you act     with all the wrong verbs        poor sucker stuck to props that are no longer
here

cues hissing      warning of
mis-
step      over and over       (the throngs shouting less, less! instead of more, more)
and the glitter
comes spattering down …
rhyme it:
tell
well
bell and fell     and so on     so much
to be known
hell   sell   yell
and so forth
so much     so much
oh memory me
more
yee!
purely purge thy dross



------